Sunday, November 18, 2007

Sunday Best

We just spent the whole morning talking about what needed to be accomplished today. We are nothing if not efficient.

So AV and KR went out midday to get their laundry done, which is always met with moaning and procrastination. I, on the other hand, opted to stay home since I get to return home to Texas tomorrow and will proceed to do my laundry at home. That’s right, unemployment has its’ benefits too. Chief among them being in-house laundry privileges.

As it turns out, I was not offered the job I wanted. I found out Thursday, which actually came at a good time because now I can go home for a full week to see my family for Thanksgiving. I need to recharge my batteries and be around my dog and see a sunset.

I’m going to start doing temporary work when I get back to New York while I continue looking for a permanent job. It’s really the best option for me right now, and since it’s now the time of year that’s paradoxically busy AND slow, I feel that this will be a good ‘meantime’ activity. If I find a full-time job in the process, then all the better.

Luckily the bad news was received on Thursday afternoon, and Thursday is the best night of the week in our apartment. It’s the best because it’s the best T.V. night of the week, if you didn’t already know. We always put on comfortable clothing, preferably something with an elastic waist, and we get pizza and return home to watch The Office, Grey’s Anatomy, sometimes Big Shots (the show is lame but Michael Vartan is in it) and whatever else we feel like watching. It’s the perfect combination of awesomeness.

My friend AR, who knows everything about everything, sadly informed me that because of the writers’ strike continuing, that Thursday was the last new episode of The Office that was finished. Now that is a tragedy indeed. What will we do without the crew at Dunder Mifflin to entertain us? Thank goodness Thanksgiving is this Thursday- I’ll be surrounded by family, friends and food to soften the blow. And the Dallas Cowboys, of course.

Friday was a big day for the KR and AV because they were both debuting their new boots. I was never interested in leggings or skinny jeans until I moved here and became interested in boots. Now they are not only appealing, but also absolutely necessary.

KR found out last week that you can go to a salon in Tribeca to get your haircut for $20 by someone in hair school, and so she rushed over with a file folder of cute haircuts Friday after work to get her hair trimmed and tailored. AV and I met up and walked around for about an hour until AV’s feet were about to fall off from teetering around in her boots all day. We were sufficiently hungry and tired, so we decided to make our way up to Hill Country Barbeque for the evening.

Two hours after leaving KR at the salon, and an hour after we had been waiting, it became clear that she would not be making it to dinner because of the hair situation she was stuck in. I squeezed my way up to the hostess stand wedged next to the bar to readjust the number in our party, and got caught in the middle of the frenzy that was started by a bartender ringing a cowbell and announcing free shots for everyone. Someone with THREE of the free shots shoved one in my hand, said “bottoms up” and I heard “one, two, three YEEHAW”.

Ten minutes later, after scooting myself back to AV and getting resituated, she said she wished she had gotten a shot because then her feet would be hurting less.

I said: “You didn’t get one?”
And she said: “You DID?! Are you telling me you just took a shot over there by yourself?”

I did. And you know what? My feet didn’t hurt one bit. We returned home to find out that KR had spent three hours in the hands of an inexperienced student, and emerged scarred with bangs. She refers to them now as “fringe”. She bought prenatal vitamins and bobby pins to hide them while they grow out. I told her that at least she doesn’t have my hairline, because if I had to pin back bangs, I would be forced to expose my Widow’s Peak and would look more like Dracula than myself. I don’t know if it was any consolation at all, come to think of it.

Yesterday morning we were in desperate need of physical activity, so we ventured over to Central Park to exercise AND get a tour of the fall foliage. Two birds, one stone… it seemed like a good idea at the time. None of us wanted to carry purses and so I had my camera in one pocket of my fleece, my phone in the other, and my Metro and debit cards in the pocket of my shorts.

Trying to get on a bus on the East side, I realized that the aforementioned cards were MIA. In Central Park. Somewhere in the foliage. Awesome.

This morning KR tried to use her debit card and after being put on hold five times with five different people at her bank, was finally told that she had exceeded her transaction limit. Who has ever heard of such a thing? Not me, not AV and definitely not KR. Oh the debit drama.

All that to say that we just got home from church, and I really need to pack.

I’ll be home this time tomorrow!

"Failure is the opportunity to begin again more intelligently."

-Henry Ford

1 comment:

AV said...

It's just not the same without the fall foliage pictures Amy...you're falling down on your job.