Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Tuesday is the new Monday

Can I first point out that American Idol will be on T.V. no fewer than THREE NIGHTS this week? Yeah, we’re totally on board for that.

The writers’ strike may be over, but I’m not about to watch Lipstick Jungle, which is just white noise next to Cashmere Mafia, nor will I stoop to watching Real World/Road Rules Gauntlet, which allows random 30-year-olds to somehow have a career based on doing absolutely nothing of value. I’m not saying everything I watch on T.V. has merit, but I have to draw the line SOMEWHERE.

Remember when I said I wasn’t considering going home this weekend? That was a big fat lie. I spoke with my mother on Saturday morning, she had found an inexpensive flight leaving Saturday evening, and we booked it. I was perusing Barnes & Noble when I received the telltale call from the airline, telling me my flight would be delayed three hours. We quickly cancelled it and decided we would try another weekend.

I should have had a premonition when my mother sent me pictures of golf ball sized hail along with my flight confirmation Saturday morning that the plans would not bode well. I’m not great with spontaneity, and the delays take the fun out of it. I’ve spent many a late night at JFK, and I’ve learned my lesson.

We dragged ourselves out of bed for a pre-noon showing of ‘Definitely Maybe’, having been in the midst of not only a T.V. drought but a movie one as well. AV’s mom even got up and joined us as well.

One thing we did while AV’s family was here was a cupcake sampling, if you will. We went to Crumbs on Friday night and they stopped by Magnolia on Saturday to get the best of both worlds. Struggling with my decision, I had to go with the vanilla on vanilla cupcake from Crumbs as my favorite. It’s a bold claim; this I know for sure.

Our three-day weekend in the city continued with an unseasonably warm 60-degree day yesterday. I took my free day and walked to the Met, getting in for free with my I.D. from work. Ever the nerd, I had seen that there would be some new exhibits and that the new galleries for the European paintings, and wanted to check things out for myself.

I have a penchant for getting lost in museums- the time I visited the Louvre I wandered off to find The Coronation of Napoleon and ended up looking at an upside-down French map of the building, running frantically through the Egyptian Antiquities trying to find the inverted pyramid. Much like something out of a Dan Brown novel I’ve read before…

I digress.

So I found myself in a room with a huge formaldehyde-preserved shark, suspended in glass in attack-mode. Lucky for me I’ve never seen ‘Jaws’, so I ventured over to the front of the tank and looked at the shark dead-on.

I. Who knew sharks had that many teeth?
II. I don’t care if it WAS dead, I stared at it for about five seconds before I felt completely unnerved and moved on.
III. Formaldehyde still reeks as bad as it did in freshman-year biology.
IV. I’ll be hard-pressed to step one big toe in the ocean ever again.

"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear."
-Ambrose Redmoon

No comments: