Thursday, May 8, 2008

By George

For years in college I had a picture of a man in a suit, giving his signature look to the woman in his arms that I had taken from a magazine and taped to the refridgerator I shared with my house of four girls. At the bottom of the picture I taped a notecard that read: "male perfection -AH".

The man in the picture was George Clooney, and yesterday was basically one of the best days of my life.




At 10am yesterday morning, one of my assistant friends, LM, ran over to my side of the office and said "George Clooney is downstairs- let's go!" As if on cue, the female assistants all abandoned our desks and bolted for the elevators. We had experienced a false alarm on Tuesday; there was an event in my building for a prominent fashion designer and George Clooney's girlfriend Sarah was in attendance... but not George himself.

You would have thought there was a fire drill taking place, that's how many women were in the massive foyer in my building. He was there this time, in all his beautiful glory.

I have not seen many celebrities since moving to New York, but regardless of how many I see while I live here and who they are, I'm certain that all will pale in comparison to GC. He is the textbook definition of handsome; a word that is now so rarely used and somehow fits him perfectly.

He's better-looking in person than on-screen. As evidenced by yesterday's crowd, he appeals to women of all ages, and this was no shopping mall, mind you, this is a place of business full of college-educated people.

And yet there we were, shamelessly trying not to blink and watching his every move. Luckily KR had the foresight to have her camera in her purse, and took plenty of pictures for evidence.

If age is just a number, then I'd say 47 looks good on George.

"He had one of those rare smiles with a quality of eternal reassurance in it, that you may come across four or five times in life. It faced, or seemed to face, the whole external world for an instant and then concentrated on you with an irresistible prejudice in your favor. It understood you just as far as you wanted to be understood, believed in you as you would like to believe in yourself."
-F. Scott Fitzgerald, The Great Gatsby

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Mom taught us well...always have our camera! Way to come through sister! He is totally gorgeous!

Anonymous said...

jealous!

mama2drama said...

AH! Sounds wonderful and breathtaking!