Tuesday, October 2, 2007

The Cheese Stands Alone

That’s right folks, we’re 66.7% of the way there! KR received an official offer yesterday afternoon from a publication she has been interviewing with, and trained today with the girl she will be replacing before she starts on Monday. AV started her job yesterday- we even got an e-mail from her in the afternoon with the little e-mail signature from her company, which seems to make everything more official. I’m bringing up the rear on the job front, so we’ll see how this week pans out (after much diligent and proactive work on my part- I mean).

My first day of solitude was actually great because I came down with a self-diagnosed cold or something equally tragic over the weekend. It started with a scratchy throat, then progressed to a stuffy nose and now a hacking cough. I’ve certainly complained about it enough! I bought some community hand-sanitizer for all of us- since we live within a three-foot radius of each other most of the time. KR seems to be coming down with the same thing, which means we’ll get to commiserate together for the rest of the week.

I was at the apartment post-cleaning lady and pre-sugar mamas returning home, and I did not realize how eerily quiet it was until my phone rang. The T.V. was off, there was no hair on the ground (four girls=considerable shedding), and there were no clothes visible the naked eye. I sat there on the couch with full knowledge that the remote was broken, that there would be hair on the ground as soon as one of us so much as plugged in a curling iron, and that if I peeked in any cabinet door I would be covered by a barrage of shoes. KR and I use the cabinet under the T.V. for our shoes; it’s a very tedious, Jenga-like game.

(whining, coughing, looking for a Kleenex)

Last night, after many seasons of carefully watching The Bachelor, I concluded once and for all that Chris Harrison has the easiest job in television. All he does is tap a champagne glass with a fork, do a few voice-overs about the most dramatic rose ceremony ever, and say “take a moment and say your good-bye’s” at the end of every episode. That’s it. He flies to posh destinations all over the world, acts as a pseudo-sounding board for guys who should never have had that many girls to choose from in the first place, and pick up a dozen red roses on his way to work. Are these jobs listed on Monster or what?

(more whining, more coughing)

I finally downloaded that pesky Ingrid Michaelson song on the Old Navy commercial that airs every five minutes. I was annoyed with only knowing one stanza, and I actually like the song, but seeing that unfortunate sweater has not gotten any easier. MK came home with some snazzy new turtlenecks from Ann Taylor today, though. Funny how quickly we pass up the trendy jeans and short Mod dresses for well-tailored pants and knit sweaters.

On a different note, I think I have neglected to mention how much I love quotes. You learn something new everyday. From now on, I’ll be ending every entry with a quote. Happy Tuesday, all.

“Not all who wander are lost.” –J.R.R. Tolkien.

No comments: