Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Nacogdoches, Texas: The City That Never Sleeps





After four flights, two three-hour car trips and one long weekend, I am back in New York. I arrived in Dallas before noon on Friday, and was in Nacogdoches in time to throw on a dress and make it to the rehearsal dinner on time in my friend JS’s Astro van of bridal party members.

Fortunately for us, everything in Nac was about five minutes from where we were staying. Where we were staying, by the way, was an adorable historic baby blue house that is a bed and breakfast that our friend HC’s parents had reserved for us in the downtown square area. Translation: a house with big comfortable beds, a stocked refrigerator, friends I had not seen in months, and a partridge in a pear tree. We sipped champagne late into the night on Friday, catching up with each other and enjoying the good company.

Saturday came and there was a prayer breakfast for H, complete with tiny cinnamon rolls, pajamas and lots of tears. It was one of those times you just look around and think “good grief, we’re such women.” We had some free time in the middle of the day, then all met up in the later afternoon hours to eat lunch and get dressed and ready. Even in a house with about five large bathrooms, there was still a frenzy of red tulle skirts, heels, hairspray and Diet Dr. Pepper. We had pictures taken at the B&B, then transferred the party to the church. The ceremony went off without a hitch, and H&A (the happy couple) were finally married.


I have to pull over onto a side-note for a moment to say that I was actually in the linguistics class as H&A where they met and started dating (along with our friend MG and H’s older sister MH). I sat right behind them all semester, watching all the flirting and romance unfold, and then reliving all of it after class everyday as I would walk to Brit-lit with H everyday after linguistics. Not only did H meet her now husband in this class, but MH actually got the International Phonetic Alphabet tattooed on the bottom of her foot to get an ‘A’ in the class after our professor had told us she would give anyone that grade if they did so.

Back on track: to the reception. Our friend AR made us die laughing as she hooked her arm over her groomsman partner when walking down the aisle. It was a memorable exit, to say the least. The reception was at a ballroom on the SFA campus, and included a classic rock band, mashed potatoes in martini glasses and several of my favorite people. It felt a lot like one of our sorority date parties, just without the superfluous yet obligatory date.

We sent the happy couple away in a tunnel of sparklers; their car decorated in purple and white (SFA’s colors- obviously), and onto their honeymoon in Jamaica. We ended the evening at our friend KS’s house in Nac, chatting with everyone one last time before parting ways again until the next wedding.

I was at home for a few hours before leaving for the airport again on Sunday. As much as I enjoyed returning to Texas for a few days, I was so relieved to return to New York to continue building my life here. I jumped back into the job search yesterday- the two people I have primarily been trying to meet with have been out of town and both return this week.

We have a lot going on this week- KR and I had interviews today, and we are now searching apartment listings online. AV got a job on Friday(!!!) and so she is becoming quite the Craigslist expert. She actually found an apartment listed as a two bedroom in Murray Hill for $1800, which turned out to be something posted by a disgruntled Subway sandwiches employee (he listed their address and phone number), which was funny but annoying.

I walked about 40 blocks this morning, so I think I’ll give my feet a break until we go view another apartment later. There’s a lot going on in the city this week, so I’ll be sure to keep you posted.

Until next time…

No comments: