Friday, December 21, 2007

Blame It On The Day Job

I self-conciously made my way down the stairs of our walk-up this morning and out into the bustle, only to find that I was not the only one wheeling their Christmas luggage to work for the day. I briefly weighed the pros and cons of trying to get on the subway (for one stop) and after having a flashback of AV stuck in a subway turnstile with a suitcase, I chose to walk.

I was grateful for the 35 degree morning as I was managing my load- second guessing my choice to walk, but glad to not be dealing with stairs and commuters. I'm also choosing not to think of what a madhouse Penn Station is going to be at 5 PM today.

One of the great things about going home to Texas is that my parents are always there to pick me up in a CAR. I don't have to worry about cab prices, getting in late at night, absent shuttle drivers or any of the other things that could possibly go wrong once getting into the city.

KR and AV both took flights out last night to go home, leaving me at home to my own devices. My devices included, but were not limited to: baked Doritos, leftover Christmas cookies from a few days ago, college basketball and a new-found guilty-pleasure show.

AV called me from La Guardia to tell me that Chace-Something from "Gossip Girl" was on her flight. Two girls had just asked to take a picture with him, and so I looked him up on IMDB (the perfect website to access when you can't remember what other movie or show someone was in).

Some of our friends at work (did I mention KR and I work together now, by the way?) have talked about the show, and intrigued after AV's phone call, I ended up watching three episodes online. They weren't sequential, but I'm good at using context clues and so I picked up on the story line. Nevermind the fact that I had not started to pack.

After spending the week eating Christmas cookies, hors d'oeurves, cocktails and Diet Dr Pepper- mostly at work-related events, I'm ready to commit to some kind of New Year-New You philosophy. The day my gym-benefit kicks in, I'm joining the one in my building.

If I see one more piece of sugar covered in buttery sugar, I might vomit... or I might eat it, it could really go either way at this point.


Lucy: Beethoven's birthday is December 16th Shermy! Have you decided what you're going to get me?
Shermy: Yes! I'm not going to get you anything!
Lucy: What kind of a holiday is it where you don't give girls presents?
-Charles Schultz, Peanuts

No comments: