Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Pigs Flew

Somehow I completely missed 'Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix' coming out on DVD today. How could I miss this?

I’ll tell you how: I have a job! It finally happened. It’s my turn to join the rigors of the working world: the whirlwind nine to five, the first-initial-last-name-@-company-dot-com e-mail circuit, the general hopelessness and hopefulness that comes with overall inexperience with real world work. It’s awesome- I love it.

What makes everything so much easier is my new friend MC. She is the assistant I replaced and she was promoted to a position within the same office, which means she is literally an e-mail, an IM, an inter-office phone call or a carrier pigeon away. One of these days she’ll get a Blackberry and I will have texting, calling and Blackberry Messenger capabilities with her. She might cut me off one day, and I wouldn’t blame her. She went to Auburn, and we have mutual friends, so it might not be as easy as one would think.

So I’m now getting acclimated to my new schedule. The real kicker is the commute-

11 blocks. 11 whole blocks.

I know- brutal, huh? I literally walk to work and it takes less than 10 minutes. Who needs a car when you have your own two feet? That’s what I always say. Unless you have a car… then by all means, drive.

KR’s mom and grandmother were in town for her uncle’s birthday on Saturday. I spent the day browsing and buying for my family for Christmas. I roamed around Columbus Circle and then made my way over to the East side. I went into Crate & Barrel to browse their selection of holiday décor, like all of the other 40-year-old moms in the city, and I stopped by Bloomingdale’s for the hot chocolate.

AV slept in my room on her air mattress, held over from our Murray Hill days of long ago, which meant we got to have a sleepover all weekend. It started feeling little a youth group weekend, specifically Disciple Now-ish. There were lots of people in a confined space, hand-held games and parents involved. When Mrs. R told us “lights out”, we almost died laughing.

Mrs. R also bought us a bathroom shelf from Bed Bath & Beyond, which included assembly. AV and I took a whack at it, literally, Sunday morning when the R’s left to see Mary Poppins. It was definitely a little rickety, and when all was said and done we did not use all the screws or poles, but we also didn’t have to use a high heel as a hammer. It’s also still standing, which has to count for something.

It’s a work night, so it’s time for bed. I talked to my brother earlier who was studying for finals, and while I sympathize, I can’t feel that sorry for someone who gets a month off after a few days of exams.

“Go confidently in the direction of your dreams! Live the life you’ve imagined.”
-Thoreau

No comments: