Thursday, March 20, 2008

A Day in the Life



Figure I: Scheming and dreaming
Figure II: Manhattan; as seen from Brooklyn

I just spent 15 minutes deleting all of the voicemails on my phone that have accumulated over the past 24 hours. I get really stressed out seeing unchecked e-mail or voicemail on my phone- those little envelope and cassette-tape-looking are such a source of anxiety to me. Here’s what I had waiting for me:

Mom: “Hi hon, just wanting to see if you need me to pack this pair of shoes…”
Friend KJ: “Hi- we keep playing phone-tag, I’m driving to____, call me!”
Friend MH: “Why isn’t your bracket posted on Facebook yet?”
Mom: “We’re on the plane- we got on an earlier flight and are now sitting on the runway for an hour…”
Friend MH: “You have ONE HOUR left to post your bracket!”
Friend JP: “I love having friendships with voicemail-boxes…”

My parents rolled into town tonight- we had Italian food, Magnolia and a little NCAA basketball for dessert. Texas A&M survived BYU and put up the “W”, and Duke almost screwed up the South region of my bracket by getting into a close one with Belmont. I didn’t predict Kansas State beating USC either, which figures.

I’m exhausted tonight- I stayed up late last night finishing My Sister’s Keeper by Jodi Picoult, and I had been warned of the dramatic ending. I didn’t know what exactly was going to happen, but I was anticipating something big. KR and I have both been reading it, so when she’s finished we’ll discuss it.

My curiosity got the best of me, and so I found myself crying on the couch at 12:45 AM, quietly albeit, because AV and KR were already asleep. It’s pretty gut-wrenchingly tragic, if you’ve never read it, but don't let that deter you- it's an amazing book. I'm strangely okay with sad endings for whatever reason.

I’ve heard before that if you look at yourself in the mirror when you’re crying that it will make you cry harder. I can say that I stopped crying immediately upon seeing myself in the bathroom mirror with a blotchy face and my day-old frizzy hair.

Call it vanity, if you will. I probably would.

"I still find each day too short for all the thoughts I want to think, all the walks I want to take, all the books I want to read, and all the friends I want to see."
-John Burroughs

3 comments:

AV said...

you DID predict K State! How do I know your bracket better than my own?!

Anonymous said...

That is my most favorite book!
-alaina

Jim & Elizabeth said...

AMy! I love that book.. but the ending was very sad! I sat on the couch crying too! I really enjoy Jodi Picoults books. I have probably read about 5 of them! If you need recommendations let me know! I am so into reading now so if you have any books to recommend please let me know i am running out of ideas!

THanks!
Elizabeth LArkin