Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Weekend Traveler

I went home Friday for the weekend. I punched the clock at straight-up five to get to La Guardia in time to mill around and do nothing for 45 minutes.

I found a book store and continued to mill, looking for something to read and preferring something other than the 42 magazines I read last week. I also decided I didn’t want to read some random bestseller that I would usually be happy to bury my nose into, and a stark white cover caught my eye.

That’s right- I looked, I judged and I purchased. That's about as shallow as the prospective book-buyer can get.

My book of choice was CAD: Confessions of a Toxic Bachelor. Definitely not my usual literary choice. It was an impulse purchase, but I wasn’t about to pick up another Jane Austen wannabe and also not in the mood for something sappy, so I went with the clear alternative.

I really didn’t like the guy for about half of the memoir, but I found that I really enjoyed his writing style and I had nothing better to do during my layover in Charlotte, NC, so I stuck with it.

Other than his hideous substitution of women’s names (he didn’t use their real ones for obvious reasons) with names like Tabitha, Chloe and other things people name cats, I actually really enjoyed the book. I wouldn’t touch the guy with a ten-foot pole after reading about his goings-on, but he won me over via prose and I recommended it and passed it on to my work pal MT Monday morning.

So in between readings of the CAD novel, I was in Texas. I enjoyed my quick weekend,; back among my SUV-driving kinfolk I’ve missed so much. You can talk to people everyday if you want to, but nothing beats seeing their smiling face in 3D again. That was really the point of the whole weekend for me; enjoying my parents and friends in person. Quality time. And good Tex-Mex… food is also always somewhere near the bottom line.

My friends MK, SR, CC and KW all came to my parents’ house Saturday night for dinner and drinks. My dad cooked out on his grill (rib-eyes and chicken) and my mom fixed twice baked potatoes and asparagus. We ate outside on the screened-in porch and my dad even came around the table making wine suggestions. For dessert we enjoyed Light Chocolate Silk Blue Bell and Cool Whip, in mom’s cute Anthropologie bowls every girl has/wishes they had.

I snuck upstairs Saturday before anyone was at my house to catch the sunset, the view from the upstairs balcony facing full west to catch it perfectly. That’s one thing I need to resolve to do this summer in Manhattan is find the best place to watch the sunset on the weekends.

KR got to spend the weekend with her mother, who was in town, and AV stuck to exploring the Upper West Side with some of our other friends who are also in the neighborhood. We had a lovely 55-degree day on Monday, and KR and I went for a walk down by Riverside, only to return home to an e-mail from my mom with full reports and picture-proof of snow in Texas.

Looks like March Madness got an early start this year.

"Believing something doesn't make it true; refusing to believe it doesn't make it false."
-Know Why You Believe by Paul Little

No comments: