Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Feng Shui, Or Something Like It

Our apartment has been completely redefined. I don’t even recognize it some days, and mornings when it’s still dark outside my feet have recently had some run-ins with our new hallway furniture on the way to my toothbrush.

Did I ever mention that my room is a cave? I may or may not live with bats- it’s questionable. We've all has started to make vampire-hissing noises when we walk outside in the morning- the cheap gallery lighting in our place keeps playing tricks on my retinas.

AV and KR went to a hardware store Saturday morning, and I returned from a sample sale to find the sidelined wooden dresser we found the other night looking almost unrecognizable. They had taken out the rusty gold handles, spackled some holes and painted it black. I even took one for the team and stopped by an Anthropologie to get new drawer pulls. I know, so self-sacrificing. Kind of like how KR “allows” AV and I to wake up before her on the weekdays, staying in bed so as not to monopolize the bathroom. It’s all about balance, really.

Late Saturday afternoon I went for a walk/jog down Riverside Drive, right by the new buildings lining the river on the West side. I ventured down near the water, and it was practically deserted. That’s one thing about living in Manhattan- you are rarely alone. There are always people everywhere. I took full advantage of it as I ran up and down the stretch of pavement, admiring the view, and eventually found a pier to walk down. I walked to the very edge and turned around to take in the full view of the city.

I almost wished I had brought my camera along, but I also liked the fact that I was the only one seeing the West side in the setting pink sunset. Well, me and everyone in Hoboken, New Jersey, right across the river.

I read an article about brunettes this weekend, and it used words describing us as being perceived as “trustworthy” and “responsible”. We can’t even get “mysterious”? The only thing those adjectives will come in handy for will be the next time I run for student council secretary of my fifth grade class.

Speaking of fifth grade, I survived my headband yesterday, a la Blair Waldorf. It may have actually been the first time in my life I’ve worn one for an entire day. I am a weak being indeed, considering I did not last two hours before taking ibuprofen.

Hey, the article didn't say anything about a high pain tolerance.

“Show me a girl with her feet planted firmly on the ground and I’ll show you a girl who can’t put her pants on.”
– Annik Marchand

No comments: