Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Grass Is Always Greener

I was introduced to a new breed of awesome this week. I simply called a restaurant on Monday to make a reservation, and was subjected over the phone to the physical equivalent of a full-body search.

Credit card information, multiple contact phone numbers, e-mail address, blood type, first born. The usual drill for a Tuesday lunch.

The Customs Official on the other end of the phone proceeded to e-mail me a list of terms and conditions (including fiscal penalty per guest if the reservation was cancelled) regarding the lunch. There was a signature under her name that read ‘Reservationist’. Even as I write this, my spell-check is telling me that it’s not a word.

Thank you, Microsoft, I knew she was taking her fake job way too seriously.

Speaking of people who are on vacation- my brother is currently in Colorado skiing with his buddies. Am I bitter? No, not quite. Jealous? Nail on the head. But these are the kind of things that happen when you’re on the verge of your 23rd birthday.

I looked up at a bakery the other day to see a package of birthday candles- which I had never noticed come by the two-dozens. I’ve never been the brightest crayon in the box when it comes to math, but that means that in two short years the celebration of my birth will require the purchase of two boxes of candles.

I know- looking two years into my future is alarming. That’s why we decided to make brownies tonight. AV was the funds, KR the feet, and I was the talent. We’re a team around here, especially when it comes to food.

KR joined the gym at work, and AV and I have been going on a few power walks this week. We finally made our way over to Riverside Park to explore a little, and enjoyed the normalcy of it; you know the GRASS and the cars on the HIGHWAY. It wouldn’t be strange anywhere else but Manhattan.

Weird how some things can be so out of place- like Tony Romo in Mexico with Jessica Simpson and pals when he should actually be practicing for the play-offs.

Ouch.

“I have always had a dread of becoming a passenger in life.”
- Queen Margaret II of Denmark

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Seriously....what the heck is he doing in Mexico? I have been asking this question since Perez broke the news. Have you seen your performance the last 3 weeks? Get yourself back to Dallas and get your pads on. Jessica is a rally kill....Newlyweds, Dukes of Hazard and now she's messing with America's team. She's crossed the line.

Jan Vest said...

Maybe it's just me but "I don't care who you are, that's funny".