Sunday, January 13, 2008

There's Always Next Year

How ‘bout them Cowboys?

Alright, obviously this blog is here to chronicle my New York experience, but I would be insulting my family, my state and all that is good and holy if I did not stay loyal to the Texas A&M Aggies, the Dallas Mavericks and clearly- America’s Team: The Dallas Cowboys. I also like the Stars and the Rangers, but I don’t take the time to keep up with them on a regular basis. I’ve got the game on as I’m updating today.

Dang, the Giants already scored. Rough start. I can practically hear my Dad and brother yelling all the way across the country.

I actually enjoy watching sports. (I say “actually” because I’m a girl, and due to gender expectations, it’s more of a bonus than inherent). My Dad always took the time to explain different games to me when I was younger and answer my 376 questions regarding whatever we were watching. There was that one time he tried to convince me there was a new rule in the NBA that sanctioned four-point shots, and I kind of believed him until he couldn’t keep a straight face any longer. That was actually kind of recent…

My Dad is also concerned about the size and number of T.V.’s in our apartment (small and one), and thus we will soon be the recipients of a new flat screen for my birthday. I’m just buying my time until our friend RM gets in town for job training again this week, and then I’ll con him into some physical labor.

Why does Tony Romo look so nervous right now? The Giants just hit him with a blitz and he looked like he had never seen one before. Lest we forget the fumble on the one yard line last season.

My parents said that this morning in Sunday School, their friend who teaches the class had written the prayer requests on a dry-erase board, as usual, and in an upper corner apart from the others, wrote “Tony”. Quarterbacks are people too; they prayers just like everyone else.

Okay, T.O. scored a T.D. All is well.

I’m starting to yell now, maybe that’s why I’ve been left alone to watch the game.

I think I like watching sports because (as per the aforementioned reasons)
1. I know what’s going on for the most part,
2. Games never get old- unlike reality T.V. shows and sitcoms that taper off after a few seasons, and
3. No two games are alike. The players, the feel of the game, the season. All are unrepeatable.
I have no idea why I’m suddenly waxing poetic about my love of the game. It’s the play-offs- they do this to me. Just wait until March Madness- I take bracketology to a whole new level.

The Boys scored again. 14-7. A 20-play, 10 ½ minute drive. I like it.

Okay so I left during halftime to cook dinner and ended up listening to the third quarter from the kitchen. I made it back in front of the T.V. by the beginning of the fourth quarter, but most of the damage had already been done. They lost… again. The interception in the end-zone at the end was just the icing on the cake. You could even hear the disappointment in former Cowboys’ star Troy Aikman’s voice as they wrapped up the commentary.

I knew it was you, Tony. You broke my heart. You broke my heart!

"It is not enough to be good if you have the ability to be better."
- Alberta Lee Cox

No comments: