Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Hello Old Friend

We went to Good Burger for dinner after church on Sunday night, right off of Union Square, and I couldn’t help but notice, and linger slightly, in front of the Chipotle next door.

Obviously, I’ve been able to think of no other burrito chain restaurant since then, and have craved a burrito bowl since realizing that months have literally passed without one. So today I made the difficult but necessary decision to forego my workout for sake of my craving, and even persuaded AV to join me.

We met up for dinner and noticed something different about the menu immediately- there were numbers next to everything. Much to our dismay, we quickly realized that the numbers were, in fact, the calorie counts of each dish. What a bad idea, Chipotle. Why would you do that? What happened to the days when a girl could eat guacamole and chips without an alarmingly high three-digit number blazed into her mind?

I have news for you- those days are long-gone. If you’re reaching for the salty, crispy tortilla, they’re going to give you a visual of what it’s going to look like sticking on your thigh.

Strangely enough- it didn’t stop me from eating any of it. Go big or go home. Or, as AV said “GET big and THEN go home.”

We walked home from the Rockefeller area WITHOUT COATS ON, which was a big day for us. It was in the low 60’s this evening, so we were content to walk up Sixth Avenue, through Central Park and back home.

By the time we reached Central Park West, I had one of those “do I really live here? Does this pseudo-grown-up life belong to me?” moments, and AV voiced a similar sentiment while we walked across the street to our block.

Dinner was wearing thin after about 20 blocks and 15 minutes of American Idol- so after watching a few Dolly Parton numbers we hiked it down the block to Magnolia Bakery… because that is what you do after you’ve eaten half your body weight in rice and beans.

I became a believer in their banana pudding tonight, a treat KR and AV have known about for quite some time now, and there’s no turning back. One bite of that whipped, creamy goodness and I was converted. Who cares about sugary cupcakes when there is pudding to be had?

I tried to exercise self-control by eating half and putting half back in the fridge, but 30 minutes later I polished off the rest of it.

Quitting while ahead is vastly overrated.

"A thing moderately good is not so good as it ought to be. Moderation in temper is always a virtue; but moderation in principle is always a vice."
-Thomas Paine

1 comment:

AV said...

wow...that was a whole blog about food. And i was a part of each shameful step.