Monday, April 7, 2008

Ignorance is Bliss

One of the most satisfying parts of the weekend is going to bed Friday night and turning the alarm to the “Weekends: Off” setting my phone. I prefer using my phone to an alarm- it keeps in theme with the continual and general darkness of my room.

That and the fact that nothing screams “GOOD MORNING” better than a blinking red light and your inbox filled with new unopened envelopes staring back at you.

The weekend was pleasant and uneventful- we had ‘Into the Wild’ waiting for us from our friend Netflix, so we popped that in for our Friday night entertainment. Based on a true story and seriously tragic, we had to balance it out with something light-hearted for our standing Sunday morning date with the movie theater, and opted for ‘Leatherheads’.

I came away with one conclusion: the only thing better than George Clooney and John Krasinski is having both of them in the same movie. It’s not often two people on my Top Five show up in the same flick… at least not since the ‘Ocean’s Eleven’ trio. What is this Top Five I speak of? That will have to wait for another day.

KR and AV came home Saturday evening with rosy faces from an afternoon spend in the sun. KR even had sun on her shins, of all places, because she had rolled up her pants. Nothing says “Spring is here” quite like sunburned shins, if you ask me.

I’d like to take a moment to commend the people who do my laundry- I dropped it off at 11 AM and it was ready by 4 PM. Yeah that’s right- we take our laundry and pay someone else to do it. With the way those machines function, I’m convinced we are coming out ahead. I also hit up the dry-cleaner across the street, both to pick-up and drop-off, meaning I actually dropped about $50 on clothes-cleaning in a period of 10 minutes. Brutal.

I stayed at home while the girls went to Brooklyn with KR’s friend LK who is in town interviewing for jobs- I wanted to watch the Final Four games, and now March Madness is all but over as far as I’m concerned. My bracket was busted when Memphis beat UCLA, and Kansas added to my troubles by crushing UNC. Has anyone else noticed that the first and second-round games in the tournament are always the most exciting? The Final Four is always so anticlimactic.

And I’m not just saying that because my bracket is now useless.

So who is ready for the NBA play-offs? I can’t believe I’m obliged to the painstaking final weeks of the season, watching the Mavericks try and claw their way into a spot this season. They did, however beat the Suns today, so things are looking up.

Equally as foreboding as going to sleep on Friday nights is comforting- coming home from church on Sunday nights, knowing that everything starts all over again in the morning is the ultimate weekend-ending moment of realization. There’s always a second when you forget- regardless of the fact that you do the same thing everything- like that moment when you wake up to your alarm in the morning before realizing what day it is and where you have to be, or that split second after the previews and before the feature presentation in the movies when you forget what movie you’re actually there to see.

I never know where the weekend goes or how it evaporates so quickly- but the moments of ignorant bliss make everything worth it.

"Time is a created thing. To say 'I don't have time' is to say 'I don't want to.'"
-Lao Tzu