Friday, April 11, 2008

My Very Own Fashion Friday

medium button

I work for a magazine in New York City. This is what I look like on a daily basis (I'm on the right, that's my lovely cousin on the left)...
...my trenchcoat and I are inseperable.

This is what I looked like on a daily basis this time last year...
...when I was footloose and fancy free as a senior in college at Texas A&M. I could drink caffiene at late hours with reckless abandon and not have to deal with the consequences.

Those were the days.

I know what you're thinking- there's a lot of difference in hair length going on here, which is not currently up for discussion because I'm growing it out. But that's neither here nor there.

Back to the fashion at hand.

My building consists almost entirely of women who all work for magazines. I live and work among the Clackers- the real-life Devil Wears Prada magazine community, who ascend the escalators daily in Wolford stockings, Christian Louboutin heels, and chic dresses or black pants. Depending on the magazine you work for and which department you work in dictates your dress (sales, editorial, marketing, art, corporate, etc.) but most everyone wears clothes that are well-pressed and carefully-selected. I wear heels nearly everyday.

I can't live without elastic-waist pants and Nike shorts (for the gym and the weekends), my tall Hunter rain boots and my black Longchamp purse- which has the capacity to hold my sneakers, heels, lunch, wallet, book and notepad at the same time. I'm looking forward to no-pantyhose weather, though they saved me during the winter months in the city. A popular weekend go-to in the city is a pair of sweatpants tucked into Uggs with a long-sleeved t-shirt and fleece or puffy vest. And yes, this is worn by the same women clad in their Bergdorf-best during the weekdays.

I look forward to light layers for spring and summer months- nice camisoles, cardigans and wraps for the mild but not quite summer weather. I am a huge fan of dresses as well- mine are all very comfortable and easy to wear. My favorite clothes are the ones that don't have to be ironed.

I don't go ANYWHERE without a pair of flat shoes on standby, a lesson I learned the hard way one night, schlepping myself around West 4th Street looking for an elusive restaurant with friends. I had enough blisters to keep Dr. Scholl's in business for months from that night alone. I recently had to retire a faithful pair of Seven jeans (seen in the above picture), which had a few holes that eventually grew and would now officially not be okay to wear out of doors.

Which reminds me, I need to go shopping for a replacement pair. All in a day's work.

Thanks Big Mama for giving the rest of us a chance to share in the greatness that is Fashion Friday!

“Balenciaga once said the secret of elegance is elimination. I believe that.”
-Audrey Hepburn

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know this post is about your clothes, but I am OH so jealous of your JOB! And your clothes, since that trench coat is super cute. :)

Amanda said...

oh the days of 902. i wish we could go back in time to that 2nd picture

Musings of a Housewife said...

Oh to be cute and young again. You look like so much fun! :-)

Anonymous said...

I looooove your hair! Wow, keep growing it out please.

Rachel

Anonymous said...

Your life looks like fun-I Love New York-
I bet you are having a blast!

Kelly said...

I am so jealous of your life. I want to be young and single (well - not really - I love being married) and live in NYC and work for a magazine!!!!! How awesome!!!! If I could go back and start over...........I would totally do that!

tootie said...

I like your blog!

Too bad about the jeans. They looked so cute.

Thanks for sharing your story with us!

Erin said...

How fun!

Unknown said...

Cool job, cool jeans, cool trench.

Glad I came across your blog so I can live vicariously through you.

Thanks for sharing it all with us!

Leigh of Tales from Bloggeritaville said...

Cute pic. You and your cuz look like twins! I enjoyed stopping in !I hope you will come and see my fiesta!

Keetha Broyles said...

Wow - - - what a job! Is it REALLY like it's portrayed in the movies???

Carolyn Gx said...

haha! I also carry flat shoes when I wear heels because of the one time I got lost trying to find a job interview location (painful memories!)
Great post!

Keri said...

How fun to work for a magazine!! You're beautiful!

Lauren said...

You live in NYC?! How fun! You are too cute! I love that white top!

mama2drama said...

I wish you'd had more pics of your real life with clackers wardrobe. Now I can say "I know one of the clackers". Yeah, um, ok, i promise not to stalk you. I may lurk every once in a while for some exciting story?! JK! Thanks for sharing

Big Mama said...

I would love to be a Clacker for just one day. If for nothing else than the wardrobe.

Thanks for playing, Amy!