Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Be Our Guest



Figure I: You know New Yorkers hated seeing this in the middle of Times Square. (That's for you, MH!)
Figure II: RW's first visit to the Big Apple.
Figure III: Come visit! We may not having singing candlesticks, but we can make a mean grilled cheese.

Here I find myself yet again with the RCN cable service man, in our usual three-hour window, waiting to hear the sweet sound of voices coming through the airwaves of our T.V. Fourth time’s a charm. We only have so many DVDs we can watch, only a one season of “Felicity” to keep us at bay before we die for lack of entertainment.

In other news, we just enjoyed our first weekend in our new apartment! We had three friends in town, SK, a friend from college and KR’s old roommate from junior year; my partner-in-crime since 1993, RW; and the notorious RM, who I made friends with freshman year of high school because he played tennis with all of my closest pals.

He once planned a Spring Break trip to New York that included himself and four girls our freshman year of college. He got us great tickets to shows, put up with our shopping and we even got to watch him in his element on Canal Street, haggling with illegal immigrants for illegal knock-off purses. It was the best trip ever. He and MK shared an apartment in Brooklyn last summer when they were both here for internships, and as RM now works for the same company as MK’s father, he is now known as the guy that lived with Mr. K’s daughter in New York.

Much to the delight of everyone involved, we ran into Heath Ledger in a rustic antique store that we wandered into in SoHo on Saturday morning. We saw Cyrano de Bergerac on Saturday night, which I really enjoyed. Kevin Kline played Cyrano, and he was phenomenal. RM spotted America Ferrera afterward, waiting to go backstage to pay her compliments to the cast, and she was successfully flying under the radar until RM yelled out: “America! We love you! We love Ugly Betty!”

She was terrified, poor America.

She smiled nervously and was then ushered inside quickly before anyone else realized what the commotion was about.

I have to take a moment to commend AV on her ability to handle anyone we throw her way. Homegirl was half asleep at midnight last night when RM breezed through the door, making a dramatic entrance as usual and ensuing in a festival of laughter with KR and I about two feet from her head. What a good sport.

We returned home with hot chocolate because KR had discovered her wallet to be missing* (it was later found to be left in a cab and was returned to her) after a work event that she had been helping with on Saturday, and had not attended the play. We chose to walk home to see all of the crazies who were out in full force for Halloween parties, and we concluded that you could make any costume inappropriate. KR and RM even spotted a scantily clad bumblebee at Penn Station when she went to greet him on Friday night. “We’ll talk about this later” he said to KR, “horizontal stripes are the least of her problems right now."

I don’t care what the old saying goes about how girls can get away with wearing anything on Halloween. I’m sure a guy made that up. Let’s just say if you are wearing lingerie outside- regardless of the holiday or event- it’s not okay, in fact, it’s decidedly a bad idea. You will surely find attention, but not respect.

I’ll get off of my modesty soapbox now.

We went to see Dan In Real Life on Sunday morning, which was surprisingly better than expected. When it comes to movies that almost never happens. Whoever wrote the movie definitely has had teenage daughters at some point in his life. The drama, the fury, the stomping of the feet and the rolling of the eyes- it was all there. I would recommend it- especially if you liked ‘The Family Stone’ and if you are a Steve Carell fan. (And who DOESN’T watch ‘The Office’)?

I’m thinking I need some grammar and punctuation refreshers. My education has not failed me- I’m just tired because I returned home a few minutes ago from a job interview. Yes, my New York Unemployment Saga continues. I actually had a great interview with a great company last week, today’s went well, and I was asked back for a second interview with yet another company for the end of this week.

Throw in a cliché about everything panning out or something about half-full glasses and you have the rest of my afternoon.

I’ll be meeting up with the girls later to go to the Target in Brooklyn. God help us, we were all lucky to get out with all of our limbs intact the last time.

"The most beautiful discovery true friends make is that they can grow separately without growing apart."
- Elizabeth Foley

1 comment:

Alaina said...

We need an update on the apartment along with pictures!