Wednesday, October 10, 2007

It's Official

We are no longer homeless! Well… as of Monday that is, but don't worry, we are still mooching until then. As long as everything goes swimmingly Friday when the lease is signed- we are good to go for a Monday move-in! Since there is already a line of people booking flights and planning visits, I suggest you run your travel plans by us to make sure our air mattress calendar is not booked up.

We get to spend the weekend shopping for mattresses and a couch, among other things. We will be returning home next weekend for our dear friend JS’s wedding, and I fully plan on packing a suitcase that will accommodate my blender and food processor… since I’m pretty sure those don’t qualify as safe carry-on items. I guess I will grab some cold weather clothes to brace myself for this “brisk New York fall” I keep hearing so much about.

I am still on the job search. Just an FYI: I’ll keep talking about it until I have one. It’s so elusive, and if I have learned anything from this whole experience, it is that timing is everything. Case and point, AV got an e-mail today from THE company she would have hand-picked to work for upon arriving in the city, a week and a half after beginning her new job. THE company contacted her to let her know that they had some job opportunities they thought she would be interested in. Stab and twist.

I neglected to mention the shopping fiasco KR and I had last week. MK had found some good buys at this place near her office, and so we thought we would venture down and see for ourselves. I should have known better when I Googled it to get the cross-streets that the tagline on the website for Century 21 store was: “Fashion worth fighting for.”

I should have, but I didn’t.

I fell prey to the Financial District’s discount fashion powerhouse under the pretense of paying less for my favorite brands. Was it worth it? I’ve been to the mall the day after Christmas, I’ve been to Neiman’s on the first weekend of the Last Call sale, and I even dabbled on tax-free weekend once. None of those could hold a stick to the madness that was Century 21. I enjoy shopping. I know there are women who see it as a chore- I’m not one of them. I even met with the carpenter of my parents’ new house to discuss the maximization of space in my new closet because by some odd twist of fate I lived in the room with the smallest closet in our old house for 15 years. I eventually took over the other two closets upstairs, but that is neither here nor there.

Don’t worry, there thousands (literally) of great places to shop here. We will cover as many as possible when you come to visit.

“Dwell in possibility.”
– Emily Dickinson

No comments: